Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Little Puker

Before I get into Alexa's puking story...guess what?  My little blog has had 3,000 views as of, well, 2 minutes ago!  I know that's not a whole lot, but to me, it's exciting.  Especially since I have an embarrassing few number of followers.  So, if you want to follow me by email you can do so right over <------- there.  And, you know, tell your friends and leave a comment or two so that I can eventually quit my night job and become a professional blogger.  I was going to say day job but being that I work night shift, it wasn't too appropriate.  Also I foresee problems in the potential of quitting my night job to blog seeing that I do all my blogging from work.  But that's besides the point.

About 2 months ago Alexa got sick.  Like, high fever, sitting miserably on the couch all day, nasty sick.  Which, if you know anything about Alexa, that is not like her (the 'sitting on the couch - or anywhere - for an extended period of time' part).  A couple of times during that illness she threw up when she had a super high fever.  She got over it, no big deal, I thought the throwing up was a one time kind of thing.  Especially since she had been sick a lot in the previous 6 months (stupid day care) and hadn't had a problem vomiting.  Oh, did I mention that she only puked on me?  Yeah, that's important, remember that. 

So fast forward to last Friday night.  Alexa had been not herself all day Friday (low grade fever, runny nose) and a little after midnight she woke up crying.  I got up and went into her room expecting her to be hot, which she was.  We were quietly doing our thing...I changed her diaper, took her temperature, I was holding her in the bathroom getting out the Tylenol when I felt a heave and then felt something warm on my shoulder.  Of course she had puked.  On me.  Again.  She kept going a little bit so I hung her over the sink.  When she was done I took off her shirt and then took off my shirt (the first thing she did after puking was to try to put her head on my shoulder right where the puke was so that thing had to go quick) and tried to wash off Bunny (no! not Bunny!!!).  Just as I had Bunny in the sink, Nick came walking in to see what was going on.  He opened the bathroom door to find Alexa sitting on the counter and me standing in front of her, both of us topless.  I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure he smirked when he said "shirts?"  I'm also going to assume that he was too worried about Alexa to bring me a shirt also because he definitely just came back with one for her. 

We ended up sleeping in our sick bed (Alexa and I, that is) aka the guest room that has a full size bed in it which is pushed up in a corner so that Hot Stuff can't climb/crawl/roll/fall out.  And let me tell you, she tries.  That child is all over the place!  I swear that growing up sharing a bed with Katie was God's way of preparing me to sleep with Alexa.  She wants to fall asleep right next to you which is nice except that when you try to move over (even if she's totally knocked out) she will wake up just enough to scootch up against you again.  Most nights that we sleep in there I end up hugging the side of the bed while Dynamite Jr. is sprawled across my pillow, me and anywhere else she can get her little body.  It's amazing how much room a 31 inch (rounding up) child can take up!  Plus, this time I was trying to keep the covers off her (because of the fever) and on me (still no shirt) so that was a mission in itself.  My mom says that I shouldn't make a habit out of sleeping with her in there but we only do it when she's sick and we like it.  I know it's going to turn around and bite me in the ass in the end, but right now I really don't care.  So anyway, she woke up the next day (at 6:00) feeling just fine and has been fine ever since then so who knows what that was all about. 

What I want to know is why does she always have to puke on me?  She doesn't vomit anywhere else.  Not in her crib, not on Nick, no where but on me.  Does she sense that it doesn't bother me that much (Nursing can make you immune to many things.  But given the choice, I will always choose emesis-free!)?  Or does she just feel comfortable enough with me to think 'oh, Mommy is here, it's OK to let the chunks fly?!'  All I know is that from now on, when Alexa has a fever, I will be wearing some sort of water-proof smock.  They have those, right?

No comments: