Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Two kind of crazy things that happened today...well, yesterday (it's after midnight)

#1 - Alexa and I got swarmed by birds in the Walmart parking lot.  She loved it, I thought I was going to die.  I can't believe I'm actually admitting that I shopped at Walmart.  Don't judge me, it's by far the cleanest Walmart I've ever been in (not that I've been in many) and the nearest Target is something like 30 miles away.  Alexa is still obsessed with birds and can spot them even if they are just specks in the sky.  There always seem to be birds around the Walmart or Winn Dixie (again, no Publix for miles) parking lots so we usually stop to look at the nasty creatures, I mean, birds.  So we were walking out of Walmart, looking at the birds, doing our usual routine when a flock of seagulls (hehehe...I am not even kidding) started flying right over and around us.  They didn't come any closer then about 20 feet from us so the logical part of my brain was staying relatively calm but the other, non logical part of me was freaking out.  Those nasty birds with their beaks and their feathers flying all around us, threatening to poop on us.  Ughhhh.  Gross.  Meanwhile, as I was having a minor attack, Alexa was in heaven.  She sat there in the buggy pointing with a huge smile on her face saying things like 'oh' and 'hi' and 'ba' (which is Alexa for bird).  I was ducking and running to our car and she was having the time of her life.  Then, just as I'm finally starting to escape the bird attack, my brother in law and nephews drive up and see us both acting like fools.  Me cowering, Alexa screaming in laughter.  Awesome, just awesome.

#2 - Alexa asked to use the potty today.  We have a potty in her bathroom that pretty much just sits there looking pretty.  I realize that she won't be able to use the potty for awhile but why not have one there so that she can get used to seeing it, right?  It's pretty obvious that she's seen me on the toilet plenty of times (as evidenced by previous posts) and I feel like that's a good thing (hopefully, she will never think that the potty is scary).  We were putting towels away in my bathroom today when she walked up to the toilet and pointed at it.  I asked her if she had to use the potty just to see what she would do and she shook her head yes.  OK, interesting.  Then I asked her to bring me to her potty (thinking that she would bring me into her bedroom or the office or something like that).  She grabbed my finger and walked in front of me all the way to her bathroom door and then banged on it.  I opened the door and she pointed to her potty.  So we took off her pants and diaper and she sat on it.  Nothing happened but we sang some made up potty songs and she sat there for a little bit, until she got tired of sitting, at which time we put back on the pants with a fresh diaper.  I know it's not super exciting and I know that everyone thinks their own kid is fantastic but I was impressed that the 16 month old wanted to sit on the potty.

2 comments:

Amanda :) said...

I loved both stories, but of coarse the first was my favorite post ever, I've had many a battle with those disgusting rat birds in that exact parking lot, which i sure you already know that, and i so proud of her for "using" the potty even though she didn't go, but at least she understands what its for and she isn't afraid of it... :)) miss you guys like crazy!!!! hopefully if i can get off work i'll be up there next month for my spring break:) hope everything is going awesome love you guys and see you soon.

Petrina said...

Yay for Alexa!!! It's so exciting. I'm hoping girls are much easier than boys! Don't be quick to knock the W/D... I wasn't a big fan at first either, but when I realized that you can earn "Fuel Perks" and get $.05 off per gallon of gas for every $50 you spend, it's amazing!