Tuesday, October 11, 2011

This Week's Adventures

Before I start my real post, I would just like to say happy birthday to Minnie and Glynnis!!! (by the way, I don't know how to spell Glyniss, it's different every time) They turned 11 years old this week, which is crazy. And Minnie told me secretly that she was a little irritated that Alexa was born so close to her birthday. I told her to get over it, I had no control over the situation.


So, Alexa moved into the 1 year old room at day care this week. Big times. It's actually a good thing for her because she's so active and into everything. Now she has a big room to move around in without anyone worrying about her crawling on other babies. The big worry for me was nap time. Hot Stuff still takes two naps a day and is in no hurry to change that any time soon. The 1 year old room only takes one nap a day so you see how that doesn't quite add up. Also, they have nap mats and sleep on their mats on the floor. Lexi is known for her sleepy time acrobatics and generally needs to be contained (you know, in a pack-n-play) for any kind of sleeping activity. So I went to go pick her up yesterday early because I knew that she would be a crazy who couldn't fall asleep on her mat. I walked into the room and she was passed out on her mat on the floor. Her teachers said that she was the first one to fall asleep. She was probably exhausted because she had to stay up until noon! I left and then went back again at 2:15 and she was awake but fussy and clingy so we went home and she took another 2 hour nap in her crib. I usually pick her up early on Mondays and Tuesdays so an extra 2 hour nap in the late afternoon for both of us is just fine with me!


The other thing that has been happening this week is a little girl majorly testing some boundaries. We've already gotten into the temper tantrums where she throws herself around and arches her back and screams. I just put her on the floor and walk away. I tell her that I don't hold arching babies. A few days ago we were all upstairs playing with her tent thing. Here's a picture. It's pretty awesome.
I put up a baby gate at the top of the stairs for obvious reasons but I still didn't want her to touch the gate because I was nervous that it wouldn't be very sturdy. So of course Alexa wanted to touch it and after many "No's" I started to (lightly) slap her hand when I said no. I would like to mention here that she now thinks that the word no is funny and thinks it's a game to do whatever you're telling her not to do. So anyway, after about a minute of that, Nick said that if she touched it again he was going to slap her hand. Well then the drama queen came out. She knelt on the floor holding her hand and crying but she finally stayed away from the gate. For about five minutes. And then she crawled up to it, sat in front of it, looked at me, smiled and smacked her hand onto the gate! Oh my god. I almost had to walk away. If we needed any more confirmation that this is mine and Nick's kid, that was it.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This made me laugh (like always)! Welcome to parenting a toddler! Oh and, mine are 5 and 3 and they still arch their backs and throw temper tantrums!

Unknown said...

Yeah right, your kids are always so well behaved! Could you do me a favor though, and let me know when the back arching stops. Just for reference. :)