Friday, August 5, 2011

My Crib Story

So I completely forgot to write about how we had to drop Alexa's crib down to the lowest level. Before I even begin, let me say that we dropped it down to the middle one months and months ago. Probably when she was about 5 months old. Amanda taught her how to pull herself up in the crib (thanks Mandy.) so we dropped it down then just in case. Since then Alexa is obviously pulling herself up all the time. In fact, when I walk into her room after every nap, she's standing in the corner of her crib facing the door with both elbows on the top and her chin resting on her hands. It's pretty cute. And let's go ahead and use that as a reference to how high the top of the crib came on her. It was about armpit level. So about a month ago (I told you I was late in telling this story) I was laying in bed one morning listening to her talk to herself in her crib. I knew that Nick had gotten up already and he was probably sitting on the couch drinking his coffee and waiting for her to wake up a little more before picking her up. I was facing away from the monitor (more on the video monitor in my next post) and I noticed that her talking changed. It wasn't distressed or anything but something about her little noises changed so I rolled over to peek at her on the monitor. Let me tell you that that child had both arms up on the top of the crib with her right foot also on the top of the crib and was hopping off her left foot to try to jump over. Now let's all take a moment to appreciate that it was relatively early in the morning (not my best time thanks to night shift) and I was still pretty much asleep. I jumped out of bed and I imagine that I looked something like a cross between mom walking to her bed after falling asleep on the couch and those cartoons where the animal's feet are racing but they are not getting anywhere. You know what I'm talking about. I finally got my footing, started running out into the family room yelling "she's trying to get out of the crib!!!!" At that point Nick got of the couch and started running to her room. He reached the door first, yanked it open and Hot Stuff was standing in her crib looking at us and laughing. Needless to say, I picked up the baby while Nick went to get his screwdriver to lower the crib all the way down. I think she may be part monkey.

No comments: