Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Our Top 5 Baby Items

Ugh, I've been a bad blogger. Sorry. There are thousands of excuses but I'll spare you and just say that I'm sorry it's been so long...again. So, as (kind of)previously promised, I give you my top five must have baby conveniences. These are of course minus the obvious things like bottles, pacis, cribs, stuff like that. I started thinking about this because a couple of months ago my mom asked me what was the one thing I would recomend to a new mother-to-be that I didn't realize I would need. That kind of got me thinking. And then I asked Nick what he thought and he had completely different ideas that I didn't even consider. So with both of our lists together and again, minus the obvious stuff that everyone has, here is our top 5 list:

5 - Any toy that plays music. I know, this is kind of a cop out, but we really could not live without our music makers. Alexa has known how to turn on the music on her mobile (which is now just the sound box) for months now. She has a sea horse that she also sleeps with that plays music when you press it's belly. Any time I want to get her attention or distract her from crying all I have to do is show her a toy that makes music. Yes, I realize that singing provides lots of music and singing is free (trust me, she gets her fill of me singing. I joke that she thinks her life is a musical because pretty much everything comes in the form of a song) but music makers at least give your voice a rest.

4 - The removable try on our high chair. I realize that most of the trays come off to get the baby out but ours (which is a Chicco) has an extra, clear, plastic tray that snaps onto the top of the main tray. As we have entered the fun and extremely messy phase of self feeding this past month, I have totally come to appreciate that tray thing. It snaps on and off easily and instead of bringing the whole, big, awkward main tray to the sink to be washed you just wash the top tray. The mess is contained and it is fantastic!!!

3 - Wipes warmer. Who wants to have their butt wiped with a cold wipe in the middle of the day, let alone in the middle of the night?! Not I and not my baby!

2 - Pacifier Clip. I find this one funny because we never actually registered for one. Niki gave us one in a pile of hand me downs from Kinley and she even said to me that she never actually used it. Just goes to show you that what works for one person is pointless for another. Now, we've been really good about keeping the paci only for naps and bedtime. However. When a baby is acting a fool in public, the paci comes out real fast. I discovered the wonders of the paci clip at dance. Alexa would sit at the front of the room in a bouncy seat or bumbo while I was teaching and I let her have a paci to keep her relatively quiet. Five minutes later the paci would be on the floor. Nasty. One week I brought the paci clip with me to try it out and it was awesome! I can't tell you how many pacis it saved from the floor on countless trips shopping and at Disney. When my mom asked me the question about the one thing I would reccomend, a paci clip was my answer.

1 - A Video Monitor. By far. We don't even have one of the fancy portable ones or one that has a color monitor or measures the room temperature. Nope, just an obnociously large (I think it's a 6 inch screen) monitor that sits on my bedside table. This is definately the best baby convenience that we own. And my mom thought it was dumb at first. That was until she came up here to baby sit for a week. There is a camera that goes in the baby's room (we have it on the wall above her crib so we can look down on her) and just the one TV looking monitor. Let me tell you that I will get up and walk across the house to look at the monitor before I will walk into that child's room to see if she's really sleeping. We use it to check on her at night. We use it for any time she takes a nap. It's wonderful.

So there it is, our top 5. What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Like I said, I find it interesting that what is trash for someone is a must have for someone else.

No comments: