Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day Posts, facebook style

Yesterday was Father's Day. I suppose Nick had a good day for his first true Father's Day. He went golfing in the morning and Alexa got him a fryer. You know, one with a rectangle basket like a small version of what they use in restaurants. He tried to use our old fry daddy a few weeks ago and got frustrated that it didn't get hot enough so getting a "real" fryer was near the top of his list of things that he wants (along with an ipad and a projector & screen - hopefully he's fully aware of my cheapness and knows that we are going to have to win the lottery for him to get either of those). Did I mention that he has only fried something twice in the past two years? Not relevant and I'm getting off topic. Sorry. So, Father's Day. I appreciate that everyone loves their fathers, etc. But I have a small issue with everyone proclaiming it on facebook. It's annoying. My newsfeed was twice as long yesterday and all full of crap like 'Happy Father's Day to the greatest dad in the world'. First of all, that's very a subjective statement. Obviously all 50 of you who wrote that can't have the single greatest dad in the world. I realize that you might think that, and that's wonderful, but I feel like proclaiming it on facebook is kind of like telling everyone else that they do NOT have the greatest dad in the world. Are you supposed to 'like' these comments? That's just rough, it's like admitting that you think their dad is in fact greater than your own. And is that seriously how you are telling your dads happy Father's Day? By posting it on facebook? You're really not even going to call him? And is your dad even on facebook because mine is not (although my mom is...she's pretty cool, I know. Oh and don't even get me started on posting comments toward random people who are obviously not on facebook...example: 'I love you Alexa!!!' Seriously, my 8 month old is going to read that?). So assuming that your dad is not, in fact, on facebook, you are then just bragging to the rest of us that you have the single greatest dad ever and our dads all suck. First of all, not true. Second, I really want to know what the appropriate response is. Obviously you are looking for some type of response because lets all get real, getting a response is why you post things on facebook to begin with. So what exactly are the rest of us supposed to say? I believe I will write 'Dislike! My dad is totally better then yours!!! Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!!!!!!'

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Kristin my Dad really is the best! LOL Yes, my Dad is on facebook. In my defense, I included all Dads in my post. How did you feel about all the Mother's Day posts? Just curious.

Unknown said...

I appreciate including all dads! I think that makes it 100 times better. As for the mothers day posts... They annoyed me just as much!!! I'm good with writing on someone's wall too. It's the whole proclimation of the superiority of one person that gets to me. Especially when the day is to celebrate everyone in that category.