Sunday, July 28, 2013

Udderly Delicious!

So, I was feeling sorry for myself the other night because I had to work full time.  I like my job and I would want to work sometimes, just not full time.  I was irritated because I have to leave for work at 5:45am and I don't get home until 8 (or later) which is way after Alexa goes to bed, and sometimes after even Kate goes to bed.  I hadn't seen Alexa in more than 3 days and my only interaction with Kate was a bath and night time feed.  Anyway, I was moping around the kitchen trying to brainstorm ideas to make money from home and wishing that I had a marketable skill when I saw a Target ad on the counter advertising for a sale on all breastfeeding supplies.  (Oh yeah! I think you know where this is going now!)  So I thought to myself, 'That's what makes me (semi)unique...I produce milk!  Wouldn't it be hilarious if I sold my breast milk online.'  I walked into my bedroom still chuckling to myself and decided, just out of sheer curiosity, to try to google it.  OMG, you guys, there is a whole breast milk buying/selling world out there!  It's like the breast milk black market.  Except it's legal.  I think.  Legal or illegal, it's kind of creepy.

People post ads for their milk.  It's like the classifieds of human dairy products.  And not only are they describing (in detail) their milk, they are, in a way, selling themselves too.  And they sell it by the ounce!  Examples: "1000+ ounces of creamy fresh or frozen breast milk from healthy mother" (I want to know if the 'fresh' stuff is still warm), "Healthy, fatty milk for your little one", "Human dairy queen...", "Fit, healthy, Ivy-league educated mom selling...", and my personal favorite: "Fresh BM. Local sales only"  And that, folks, is why acronyms are generally bad.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm all about the nursing with Katelyn, more so than I was with Alexa.  But if I wasn't able to nurse her for any reason, formula it would be!  She gets 2 bottles of formula a day as it is anyway.  I mean, I understand that people want what's best for their baby.  And the people selling it are just trying to make some extra cash from their overflow (no pun intended) supplies.  Some of these women must be making thousands of dollars!  I checked, and there's about 200 ounces of milk in my freezer right now.  I might just sell off whatever Kate doesn't drink.  I could market my milk as "Udderly Delicious!"

No comments: