Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Disney World

We went to Orlando last weekend which means that we went to Disney last weekend too.  It's fantastic having a sister that works at Disney (even though she won't let me see her office).  Actually, she might be moving her office to a room that has a window (big times!) and she might even sit by that window.  To top all of that off, this window that we are speaking of can be viewed by guests who are on the Back Lot Tour ride at Hollywood Studios.  Like, the tram goes right by the window and you can see in there and Katie will have to wave at you if she makes eye contact.  I told her the day that she moves to that desk I will spend the whole day (after she gets me into the park for free...obviously) on that ride just so I can see her desk and wave to her.  All day long.  I might even have all our family members ride also in staggered groups so that every twenty minutes when a tram goes by her window, there will be someone waving obnoxiously at her.  Hmmmmm...good plan.  Anyway, back to Disney World.  Both Katie and I have friends who are going there in the past few weeks and it's very interesting to see how people take their Disney vacation.  In our family, it was all buisness.  My parents sacrificed other things so that we would be able to go to Disney in the first place.  We definately would not stay on property (unless we were camping at Fort Wilderness) and we always got the talk about how we are not going to be grumpy and how we are going to have a good time and everyone is going to be happy (like it or not).  Being in a park with my family is pretty equivalent to running a marathon.  The goal is to ride every ride at least once.  You will get to the rides quickly and efficiently.  You will not complain.  While we are waiting in line for one ride, we are mapping out our route to the next ride (and planning for the rest of the day).  Parades?  We don't do that.  3:00 is for riding any (or all) of the mountains.  As for food, you can split a meal with a sibling and drink water out of the water fountain.  It's exhausting and it's awesome.  You're jealous.  Being that this is how I grew up, I find it hilarious that people want to do things like people watching and taking naps.  There are no naps allowed.  Nap in the stroller (on the way to the next ride).  I also find it interesting that now that I'm not paying for my tickets anymore, I don't feel all the pressure to hit every single attraction.  We went to Animal Kingdom on Thursday because Katie got an extra day off of work.  Alexa got to pet the goats and pigs and we went through one of the trails so that she could see some birds.  Then on Friday we went to Epcot to see the fish in the Seas Pavillion and we walked around the World Showcase while Alexa was sleeping, saw our friends' band play and went on the boat ride in the Land.  All very relaxed and layed back.  It was kind of nice, for a change.  Now, don't get me wrong, I still think my family's way of doing Disney is the best way there is.  But I can now appreciate how someone might want to do it a little differently (and less psychotic).

No comments: